Sunday, June 7, 2015

Soccer Mom!

It finally happened...I was a soccer mom driving around in a mini-van and it wasn't as bad as I built it up in my head to be when I was so much younger! We tried out the city soccer program this spring and Tucker and Hunter had a blast! They both want to do it again in the fall. I enjoyed the season but was grateful when it was over and I got my weeknights and Saturdays back. I was better at getting Hunter to do his homework during those weeks than any other time during the year but I was worse at helping Tucker. The house seemed to fall apart and I rarely had any desire to clean it up Saturday afternoons after two soccer games. Dinners were tricky with practice for Tucker on Mondays from 5-6 and games on Tuesday for an hour starting at 4:30, 5:30, or 6:30 and then again on Thursday for Hunter with the same time options. There were some really cold games! It rained at only one game and thankfully Bryant was there and able to take the children to the van while I watched Hunter play. It was fun to see both boys learn the game and gain skills as the season progressed.

In the beginning, Tucker was a very defensive player. He would watch the ball as it was coming towards him and then back up indefinitely waiting for an opportunity to kick it towards the other side of the field. As the season progressed he learned to be a little more aggressive but always seemed to let the other kids take charge of the ball. In his final game he assisted another player in making 3 of the teams 5 goals. He was a little sad that he never actually scored a goal. Thankfully, this other teammate recognized Tucker's help and complimented him on his passing and help in making the goals. Tucker was great at staying in his position and working hard no matter where he was placed.

Here is a clip of Tucker at his first game.

Here are some additional videos of Tucker throughout the season

Here he assists in a goal


And some pictures of Tucker

Tucker usually played with a beanie, gloves or shirt on under his jersey. It was silly but it made it really easy to pick him out of all the kids



Hunter too was happy to wait for the ball to come to him as he played at his games. He was very concerned that there was no goalie in the kindergarten league like the 1st grade league and so he took it upon himself to watch the goal. He did not like to venture too far away just in case the ball came back across the short field and the other team scored. Hunter's team did not have a coach initially and non of the parents were willing to step up and coach. I had never played soccer before and had 4 other children with me at all the games by myself usually so I was certainly not eager to step forward. Thankfully, the girl on the team is in our ward and her mother warned her husband that he might have to coach the team. We had a lot of 4:30 games which was difficult for him because he had to leave work early to be with the team. I am very grateful for his willingness and ability to coach the team. Bryant was a little sad that his work schedule is not at all flexible so he could not have attempted to coach the team.

Here is Hunter at his first game. I learned that I am a bit of a screamer after my first two games and I'll let you know that I toned it down after that and found it fun to see that Bryant too likes to provide direction from the sidelines :) I told Hunter to get in front of the ball, and in so doing distracted him while in harms way and he got hit on the head :'(


Thankfully this did not ruin his season and he was able to go out and play hard the rest of the season. Here he is at one of his earlier games in the season.


Here are some additional clips of Hunter. If you still want more, come visit and ask to watch them because I have more :)




Here he is at his final game :)





I had to take a picture of him with his jersey on backwards :P Silly boy




Both boys got an awesome looking medal which they proudly hang on their walls. I'm so glad that they could both have such a good experience and have a desire to try again with the next season :)



No comments:

Post a Comment